We’re continuing to improve the Photos and Stories features on FamilySearch.org. Here are the latest ways we’re making these two great new features even better.
New Way to Set the Portrait Image
The way you choose a portrait is changing in the Photos and Stories experience. Each user can now select a different portrait for each ancestor. If a user has not selected a portrait for an ancestor, the system will choose one of the currently uploaded photos as the selected portrait.
To select a portrait:
- On FamilySearch.org/photos, click People.
- Click the person whose portrait you want to select.
- Click a person’s current portrait photo.
4. A pop-up containing all of the person’s currently uploaded photos appears.
5. Click the photo that you want.
Photos and Stories on Summary Card
On the Summary card:
- A person’s portrait photo will be displayed.
- The number of photos attached to that person will be displayed.
- The number of stories attached to that person will be displayed.
Tip: On the card, the words Sources, Discussions, Photos, and Stories are links that take you directly to that information. (Click Photos to go directly to the person’s photos.)
Add a Story to Any Photo
Previously, you had to upload a photo to attach a story to it. Now, any registered user can add a story to FamilySearch without first adding a photograph to pin it to.
Photos and Stories of Your Ancestors—View Relationships
It is possible now to view pictures of your ancestors that other people have submitted to the Family Tree and see how they are related to you. When another person submits a photograph to the Family Tree, it is sometimes difficult to know how the person in the photo is related to you. This new feature will provide a visual map showing your line from you directly to the individual in question. This map will include up to 4 generations of ancestry for your view.
To view your photos:
- From the FamilySearch home page, click the Photos link.
- Click the blue banner at the top of the page titled Find photos of your ancestors.
After you sign in, photos that someone else submitted of your ancestor will display with a gold ribbon in the lower left corner of the image.
HINT: To make sure that all of the images have loaded, click F5 to refresh your screen.
3. To display only those photographs that others have uploaded, click the Filter people by: drop-down box.
On the bottom, in the field titled People added by others you will see all of the people who have been added by someone other than yourself.
4. Click People added by others on the bottom of the menu options.
There may be several people on this page I don’t recognize as being in my family. To address this problem:
- Click the photo of the person you don’t recognize.
- Click the Related People link. You will see some family information about the person. Hopefully, you’ll recognize the name of a parent or spouse.
You can also see how you are related to the individuals you don’t recognize by clicking the View my relationship link.
You will see a map showing you and the individual in the context of the Family Tree. This should help you see how this person is related to you.