FamilySearch has completed two new updates to FamilySearch Family Tree. These updates have made working in Family Tree easier than ever.
Family Tree has recently introduced a new way to display family pedigree information. This new format is called the “portrait pedigree.” This new format is in addition to the standard traditional pedigree chart and the fan chart.
It is a vertical pedigree with pictures. The starting person is shown at the bottom, with the ancestors going up. For each person, the pedigree shows the name, birth and death years (the lifespan), and the portrait photo if there is one. Like this:
To switch to the portrait pedigree and then back to the pedigree or fan chart views, you use the selector in the upper-left corner. The selector is now a drop-down list.
The portrait pedigree works like the other views.
You can click a person’s name to show the person card:
From the person card, you can:
- Re-orient the pedigree on that person, by clicking Tree.
- See the details page, by clicking Person.
- Go directly to the person’s Sources, Photos, Discussions, or Stories.
Preference Settings for LDS Users
The Family Tree team has released a very useful new preference setting. Church members can show or hide the LDS-related options.
Hiding the LDS options is useful in situations like these:
· You are sharing information about your ancestors with nonmember relatives, and the LDS options would be a distraction or point of confusion.
· You are giving a presentation about Family Tree to a public audience.
· You are building training materials for Family Tree features that aren’t temple-related.
To show or hide the LDS options, go to your FamilySearch settings:
1. Go to FamilySearch.org, and sign in.
2. Click your name in the upper-right section
3. Click Settings.
4. Scroll down to the Tree Preferences section. It is located beneath your contact information.
5. To show LDS temple options and information, make sure the box is checked. To hide this information, make sure the box is deselected.
6. Scroll to the bottom of the page, and click Save Changes.