After of months of hard work the enhanced FamilySearch.org experience has been launched to the world. At the core of the new experience is Family Tree, the future replacement for new.familysearch.org. Family Tree is a single, universal pedigree that offers new ways to discover, preserve, and share your family story.
- Collaborate on common family lines
- Make corrections and add sources
- Add ancestor photos and stories
- View your ancestors in an interactive fan chart
All of these Family Tree features are live today and are available to all users of the site. Note that photos and stories tools will be made available to a certain number of new users per day to ensure that the system continues to runs smoothly.
As you begin, or continue, to use the features of Family Tree don’t hesitate to let us know what you think of this new tool through comments here on the blog or through our feedback page.
Family Tree Frequently Asked Questions—Regarding new FamilySearch (nFS) and the public tree:
When will Family Tree be available?
- Family Tree is available today.
Is FamilySearch going to allow public users to have access to nFS?
- It is already available to all registered users of familysearch.org.
Is the tree on www.familysearch.org?
Will the data that was in nFS be in the Family Tree?
- Most of the data is in the Family Tree. Duplicate information will be pruned.
What is new and different about Family Tree?
- Users will be able to correct bad data in the tree.
- Many of the requests that people have made for changes to nFS are being addressed in Family Tree.
- In Family Tree the focus will be moving towards an accurate genealogical pedigree based on sources.
- The Family Tree will be a place to hold the best genealogy, available to all and preserved for future generations.
How can one contribute to the genealogy in Family Tree?
There are two ways to you can contribute:
- Donate your GEDCOM to contributed pedigrees on www.familysearch.org, and then transfer the information to Family Tree, or
- Participate in Family Tree.
What is the difference between contributed pedigrees and the Family Tree?
- Both will be preserved for future generations.
- Contributed pedigrees will be searchable and available to others but cannot be modified. You can upload updates to your contributed pedigree.
- Family Tree will also be available and searchable but can be modified by any registered user working together with others to document the best genealogy.
When will contributed pedigrees be available?
- Contributed pedigrees is available today. Go to www.familysearch.org and click on Trees on the search page. Below the search entry criteria is a Submit Tree button that will allow you to donate your GEDCOM. Once donated and processed your tree information will be returned along with other matching information.