Each month, we are excited to announce the latest changes and updates that have taken place with FamilySearch. These latest changes include:
- View Person Card when Linking a Photo to Family Tree
- Re-order Sources on the Person Page
- Wording of the Tag Option
- Giving Feedback to FamilySearch
- Photos and Stories Can be Found Using Google
- Link a Person to Family Tree by ID Number
View Person Card when Linking a Photo to Family Tree
In Family Tree, a person card shows a summary of the person’s information (name, birth and death information, etc.) You can now view this view while you are linking a person’s photo to Family Tree.
This change also simplifies the process of getting to that person’s record in Family Tree. You can click:
- Pedigree: View the person in the main position of the pedigree chart.
- Person: View all of the person’s details.
- Unlink: Use this to see if this photo has been linked to the wrong person in Family Tree. (This link shows up only if you are viewing a photo that you uploaded. You cannot currently unlink a photo that you didn’t upload.)
- Sources: View the sources linked to that person.
- Photos: See all of the photos linked to that person.
- Discussions: See the discussions about the person.
- Stories: See stories that have been added about the person.
Re-order Sources on the Person Page
For some time, you have been able to click on a source and move it to a different location in the list. This can be helpful when certain sources should be emphasized or de-emphasized because of their relative importance.
Previously, this feature had no buttons or other visual indications that you could do this function. There are now arrow icons that make this process more visible and easier. Move your mouse over the source you want to move, and icons appear.
If a source can move either up or down, you get up and down arrows. Click the appropriate one, and the source moves one line up or down.
If a source is at the top of the list already, you get only a down arrow. If it is at the bottom of the list, you get only an up arrow.
Wording of the Tag Option
To associate a specific source with a vital event, you tag it. The wording of the option used to do this task has changed from “Tag” to “Tag Event” to be more descriptive.
Giving Feedback to FamilySearch
It is now easier to find out how to send feedback to FamilySearch. Just scroll down to the footer, and click Feedback.
You will see a screen that asks if you want to report a problem or want to offer a suggestion or compliment.
If you click Suggestion or Compliment, you go to our Get Satisfaction community.
Photos and Stories Can be Found Using Google
Google can now search the photos and stories on familysearch.org
Badges are now used to communicate useful information, like how many people are tagged in a photo or story, how many albums a photo or story is in, or how many stories are attached to a photo. I’ve circled the badges in red.
These are the badges for photos:
Here are the badges for a story:
Link a Person to Family Tree by ID Number
You can now link a person’s photo or story to his or her record in Family Tree using the ID number. The first 5 steps are the normal process. The new feature is in step 6.
- Upload the photo.
- Click the uploaded photo to display its details page.
- Click the red circle icon to tag the photo.
4. Click the red circle icon to link the tag to a person in Family Tree.
5. Click Link to Family Tree.
6. If you know the ID number, enter it in the field, and click Link.
If you click Problem, you can enter the details and send it directly to us.
Redesigned Get Help Menu
The Get Help has been redesigned to show the Help Center options so you can see what is available and find the type of help you want more quickly.