We have received a lot of excellent questions and comments from our FamilySearch users. Thank you! We appreciate your comments and suggestions. Please continue to let us hear your comments. If you like what you see, let us know so we can keep doing it. If you have questions or concerns, click the Get Help link and send us a message so we can hear what you think needs our attention. We read every comment we receive from you. We may not be able to respond back to every comment sent but be assured, every comment, positive or negative, is read.
Below are a few of the more common questions being sent to use. We hope that the answers are helpful.
Q: Can I upload a GEDCOM file from my Personal Ancestral File program (or some other record management product) into my Family Tree?
A: Yes you can. To do this:
- From the home page, click the Search link located at the top of the page.
- Click Genealogies.
- On the bottom of the page, click Submit Tree.
- Click Add GEDCOM.
- From here, follow the instructions found on the screen. A printable PDF file handout is available that provided additional detailed instructions for uploading a GEDCOM file into Family Tree.
Q: As I review my tree, I found that the tree information that I submitted to FamilySearch previously is missing some information. What happened?
A: In most cases, if someone else has been adding or changing information to an ancestor that you share in common with them, they may have changed a record enough to unintentionally break the link to your tree. The best way to fix this is to search for the ancestor that is the missing link in your tree and “re-link” them to your existing tree. When you do that, all of the remaining information associated with that branch will automatically be added to your tree. We are currently working on a way to minimizing the risk of this from happening in the future.
Q: How do I get to the Learning Center where I can find lessons and video instructions for using some of the new FamilySearch features ?
A: To get to the Learning Center:
- From the home page, click the Get Help link located at the top right corner of the page.
- Click Help Center.
- On the Help Center page, click the Learning Center icon.
Q: How do I add my story to FamilySearch?
A: To add your story:
- From the homepage, click the Photos icon.
- Click View All.
- Click Stories.
- Click the Story link
Instructions for adding a story are located at the Product Support link. You can print out a PDF version of the instructions at this site as well.
Q: Can I add my story to FamilySearch by uploading a Word file?
A: No, at the present you cannot add a story by uploading a Word file. The best way to add a story is to do the following:
- Get into the story feature (see the previous question and answer)
- Open up the Word file that contains your story.
- Using the cut and paste features of the Word program you are using, cut the text from the Word document and paste it directly into your story feature of FamilySearch.
Q: I would like to see what pedigrees and other genealogies people have submitted. In the old system they were called Trees. How to I find them with this new version of FamilySearch?
A: They are now called Genealogies. To get to these user submitted genealogies:
- From the home page, click Search.
- Click Start Searching.
- Click Genealogies. You are now ready to begin your search.