Here’s your chance to say thank you to the indexers who have helped you find your ancestors. Create a short video that is one minute or less to thank FamilySearch indexers and arbitrators for helping to make records searchable online. Highlight an ancestor you have found, or highlight someone you know who has found an ancestor while searching on FamilySearch.org, and express your gratitude to the indexers who helped make it possible.
Help indexers know their work matters. Share this contest with your friends, and get them involved!
Submission Start Date: Monday, October 8, 2012
Submission Deadline: Monday, November 5, 2012
The winning videos will be posted on the FamilySearch indexing Facebook page, and 5 winners will receive a $25 Visa gift card.
- Please submit your video in your native language.
- You must be 13 years of age or older at the start of the contest to participate. For any participants ages 13-17, parental permission must be granted (see below for forms).
- Video subjects must be dressed modestly and use clean language.
- Please do not include background music.
- Videos must NOT contain any logos, trademarks, or brand names (cars, clothes, smart phones, computers, and so on). This includes any background images, such as artwork.
- You may enter as many videos in this contest as you would like. However, you may win only one award.
- Each video must be submitted with signed participant and location releases.
- Please submit your video in the highest resolution possible. You may use any form of video capturing device, including a video camera, DSLR, point and shoot camera, phone, iPad, webcam, etc.
- Please reduce background noise before recording your video to ensure quality sound.
- Make sure the person is well lit.
- Videos must be uploaded to YouTube to be considered. To learn how to do upload your video, view the tutorial.
- Winners will be required to sign an agreement granting unlimited use of the video.
- There is no charge, fee, purchase, or other consideration required to enter and qualify for the drawing.
- The contest is void where prohibited or restricted by law.
- Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible videos submitted; the winners of the contest will be drawn from the pool of contestants who participated.
Participant and location releases are required for every video with identifiable people or locations. If the filming location is a recognizable, privately owned venue, a location release must be signed. Location releases are not needed for LDS Church-owned property, such as temple grounds or meetinghouses. Video submissions without required releases may be disqualified from winning.
Participant releases are available in the following languages:
How to Submit
Step 1: Upload your video to YouTube.
- When uploading your video to YouTube, include the following information:
- Video title should include “FamilySearch indexing.”
- Video should be listed as a public video.
- Video should have the following tags:
- FamilySearch indexing video contest
- FamilySearch indexing
Step 2: Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- Your name.
- The link to your video on YouTube.
- Required signed releases. This may either be a photo or scanned copy of the completed forms.
There will be a total of 5 contest winners. Winners will be announced on the FamilySearch blog, the FamilySearch Facebook page, and the FamilySearch indexing Facebook page on Friday, November 9, 2012. Winning videos will also be highlighted in the FamilySearch indexing December newsletter.
Contact us at email@example.com.