Everyone has favorite places and people to turn to for indexing tips and tricks. Some resources are those FamilySearch has provided, such as webinars, wikis, forums, etc. Other resources are tips you have shared with one another. It is gratifying to see that you teach each other, as well as help us know how we can improve our training and tips. All of these sources are helpful in making the quality of our indexing and arbitrating better.
Here are a couple of tips we probably all know but need to be reminded of from time to time.
- Children under one-year old on any type of record are indexed as “0.” For example, a record may indicate a child is 8/12 (meaning he or she is 8 months old)—you still enter them as 0.
- Using wildcard characters—If you cannot read ONE letter or number in a field you enter a ?. If you cannot read more than one consecutive letter or number in a field, you enter *. If you can’t make out anything in the field, you’ll have to resort to marking it unreadable. It is always better to enter as much as you can, since the FamilySearch.org search engine will bring back results from even a few letters.
Did you remember these small but significant tips?
Now, we’d like to hear your favorite tips or your favorite resource for tips and suggestions! Send your favorites to our e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or post them on the familysearch.org blog.
Indexing help resources:
- Basic Indexing Guidelines: https://help.familysearch.org/publishing/347/102817_f.SAL_Public.html
- Quick start Video: http://broadcast.lds.org/elearning/FHD/Local_Support/FamilySearchIndexing/EN/demos/FS_index.html?v=http://broadcast.lds.org/elearning/FHD/Local_Support/FamilySearchIndexing/EN/demos/IndexQuickStart
- Forums: https://www.familysearch.org/learn/forums/en/index.php
- FAQs: https://indexing.familysearch.org/support/faq.jsf
- FamilySearch Wiki (content availability may vary): https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Main_Page
- List of current Indexing projects: https://indexing.familysearch.org/projtab/current_projects.jsf