In 2014, we have already indexed over 16 million names from obituaries. And all of this was done while navigating the indexing learning curve for these new projects. Nicely done!
Thank you for your willingness to index these amazing records, learn the instructions, and give feedback to create the highest quality indexes possible and make these names and stories searchable online.
Fortunately, a few changes have been made recently to make indexing obituaries a little easier. They are as follows:
- Names such as “Mrs. Douglas (Melissa) Fairbanks” should be indexed as two records (Mrs. Melissa Fairbanks and Douglas Fairbanks) instead of one.
- Instead of three record types, there will be only two: Deceased and Other. All relatives and nonrelatives will be indexed as Other in the Record Type field.
- The Relationship to Deceased list has been updated to include Divorced Spouse, Domestic Partner, Fiancé, Fiancée, Relative, and Nonrelative. Continue to choose the closest relationship possible on the list.
The help resources for obituaries have been updated to reflect these new instructions:
Please note: While we transition to these new instructions, older obituary projects need to be finished according to the original instructions. For old projects that still have three record types—Deceased, Relative of Deceased, and Nonrelative—continue to index and arbitrate names such as “Mrs. Douglas (Melissa) Fairbanks” as one person (Mrs. Melissa Fairbanks). Index and arbitrate two people (Mrs. Melissa Fairbanks and Douglas Fairbanks) for similar names in all new projects that have two record types: Deceased and Other.
Older projects include:
- US, Michigan—Muriel Obituary File, 1930–1975 (Pilot) [Part A]
- US, Minnesota—Obituaries, Prairieland Genealogical Society (Older), 1873–2003
- US, Utah—Obituaries, Utah Digital Newspapers (Older), 1850-2005
New projects (as of May 1, 2014) include:
- US, California, Alameda County, Oakland—Obituaries, 1985–2006
- US, California—Obituaries, 1980–2014
- US, Colorado—Obituaries, 1980–2014
- US, Florida—Obituaries, 1980–2014 [Part B]
- US, Illinois—Obituaries, 1980–2014
- US, Kansas—Obituaries, 1980–2014
- US, Michigan—Obituaries, Herrick Public Library, 1890–2003 [Part A]
- US, New Jersey—Obituaries, 1980–2014
- US, New York—Obituaries, 1980–2014
- US, North Carolina—Obituaries, 1980–2014
- US, Pennsylvania—Obituaries, 1980–2014
- US, Texas—Obituaries, 1980–2014
- US, Virginia—Obituaries and Funeral Programs for African-Americans, 1920–2009
- US—Obituaries, 1980–2014