Several changes have been made to the LDS Ordinance Tab in FamilySearch. These changes include the following points:
- The Previous Location of Temple Ordinance Data.
- The New Location of Temple Ordinance Data
- Some Changes to How Things Work During Ordinance Reservation
- Which Child-Parent Sealings Are Available to Be Reserved
- How to Change the Preferred Parents
The Previous Location of Temple Ordinance Data:
In the past, you found a person’s temple ordinance data at the bottom of the details page:
New Location of Temple Ordinance Data
A person’s ordinance details will move to a separate tab, which is located in the header of the details page.
The full ordinances tab looks like this, when all of a person’s ordinances are complete.
If you forget and scroll down to the bottom, you’ll see a reminder message explaining where the ordinance information is now located:
Some Changes to How Things Work During Ordinance Reservation
If you begin the ordinance reservation process by clicking Request Ordinances on a person’s details tab, rather than clicking a temple icon on a tree view, much of the process reservation flow takes place within this new tab. For example:
The screen where you confirm the people whose ordinances you want to reserve remains in context of the details of the person you started from, as seen below.
From this point on, the process continues as it has in the past.
If you click the temple icon on a tree view, the reservation process also remains unchanged.
Which Child-Parent Sealings Are Available to Be Reserved
Church policy allows a child to be sealed to more than one set of parents, but the Ordinances tab has been optimized for a child to be sealed once; to the preferred set of parents.The preferred parents are the ones that show up by default on the tree views. You can change the preferred parents from within the Family Members section of the details page.
Remember, these scenarios apply only when a person is linked to more than one set of parents in Family Tree:
- If a person has not been sealed to any parents, the only parent-child sealing available to be reserved is for the preferred parents.
- If a person has been sealed to the preferred parents, the completed parent-child sealing shows up. No further child-parent sealings are available to be requested.
- If a person has already been sealed to one set of parents, and those parents are not the preferred parents, the completed parent-child sealing shows as does the sealing for the preferred parents–whether or not the sealing is already done. If the sealing is not done, it can be requested.
- If a person has already been sealed to more than one set of parents, all of the completed sealings show.
How to Change the Preferred Parents
If you want to seal a person to a set of parents whose names do not show on the Ordinances tab, you have to change the preferred parents. To do this:
- Go to a person’s details
- Go down to the Family Members section
- Click the Preferred check box for the parents you want to seal the child to. (This check box shows up only when a person is linked to more than one set of parents.
4. Then return to the Ordinances tab, and click Request Ordinances to begin the reservation process for that child-parent sealing.