Written by Byron Bailey, a delegate to the MGC
There is a new FamilySearch indexing project, sponsored by the Michigan Genealogical Council (the MGC). The U.S., Michigan—County Marriages, 1820–1956, project is open to everyone, and we encourage everybody, especially those with an interest in Michigan genealogy, to volunteer in the indexing. Also, volunteers who are not currently associated with another indexing group or stake are welcome to join the Michigan Genealogical Council group where they will receive updates, tips, and other project-related information along the way. (Instructions on how to join a group can be found at the end of this article.)
The Michigan project is a large one, including over 216 rolls of microfilm. It is classified as an intermediate project, since there are a variety of forms, many of which are handwritten, and indexers will receive 3 points for each record keyed. When completed, both the indexes and images will be available on familysearch.org for free.
The MGC is a nonprofit umbrella organization serving approximately 75 member genealogical societies in the State of Michigan. It was organized in 1972 and operates out of Lansing, Michigan. For more information on the MGC, go to http://mimgc.org.
A note from FamilySearch: If you belong to a society and would like to sponsor a FamilySearch indexing project, contact us today at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Join a Group
(Note: Volunteers not currently associated with a group or stake may join a group.)
If you are new to indexing:
- Register for an account.
- Download and open the indexing program.
- A pop-up box will open asking you to join a group. Select the Another group option.
- Use the drop-down list to select the name of the group you want to join.
If you have signed in to the FamilySearch indexing program before:
- Go to the indexing website at indexing.familysearch.org.
- Click Sign In.
- Enter your user name and password, and click Sign In.
- On the My Info page, click Edit.
- Next to Local Support Level, select Group or Society.
- Next to Group, select the name of the group you want to join.
- Click Save.