Thank you for your desire to join the Worldwide Indexing Event to “save the world’s records.” One of the biggest questions we have been getting is when downloading the indexing software is necessary. If you are new to indexing and the software has not yet been installed on your computer, you will need to download it and install it. If you have indexed before or if it is already on your computer, you can use your previous installation.
Again—if you have downloaded and installed the FamilySearch indexing program on your computer before this event, you do NOT need to do it again.
There is no option currently available to index records on tablets or phones.
When Do I Need to Download Software?
Existing Indexers: If you have indexed before and have installed FamilySearch indexing software on your computer, you should NOT download the software again. The software may automatically update when you get started, but installing a new version prior to uninstalling the previous version is known to create issues for indexing volunteers, including the inability to use the program.
New Indexers: New indexers need to download and install the indexing software if it is not already on the computer they are using. A link for downloading the software is on the campaign page (FamilySearch.org/worldsrecords) as well as on the getting started page.
What If I’ve Installed the Software and Am Having Difficulties?
If you have installed the software and are having difficulties, your best option is to completely uninstall the FamilySearch indexing software and then install the program again.
Uninstalling on a Windows Computer
- On the desktop, right-click the Start button or the four windows icon in the corner of the computer screen.
- Click File Explorer
- Click the C drive.
- Click Program Files x86. (If you have a Windows XP computer, open the Program Files directory.)
- Find and click FamilySearch Indexing once.
- Delete the folder.
- Go to the Downloads directory.
- Delete any copies of indexing_windows.exe.
- On the desktop, right-click the Recycle Bin icon.
- Click Empty Recycle Bin.
- If you now want to install the updated version of the indexing program, go to the FamilySearch Indexing getting started page. You can also get to this page from the FamilySearch.org home page by following these instructions:
- Click Indexing at the top of the page.
- Click Overview.
- Click Get Started.
- Click Download Indexing.
Uninstalling on a Mac
- At the far bottom left of the computer, click Finder.
- On the left panel, click Applications. All programs can now be seen in the right panel.
- In the right panel, click the FamilySearchindexing folder, and drag it to the Trash. Or right-click FamilySearchindexing, and select Move to Trash. Note: Use instructions, if any, on the computer to finish the removal of the program.
- Once you have uninstalled the existing software, you can install the program again or download and install the program again from the getting started page.
How Do I Sign In to the Software?
Access to FamilySearch indexing requires a FamilySearch or LDS account. If you do not yet have an account, please see the sign-in prompt for instructions for registering for a new account or retrieving a forgotten password.
What If I’m Still Having Difficulties?
If you are still having difficulties that prevent you from getting started with FamilySearch indexing, please review the instructions and answers on the getting started page or seek help from your stake indexing director or group administrator.
If you cannot reach your stake indexing director or group administrator, Patron Services is available to provide assistance; however, the high volume of help requests during this event may delay response times. Contact Patron Services.