10th Regiment, Massachusetts InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 10th Regiment, Massachusetts Infantry was organized at Springfield June 21, 1861,and ordered home for muster out June 19. Mustered out July 6, 1864.
For more information on the history of 10th Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry see the following:
- The Wikipedia article, 10th Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry(accessed 29 September 2011)
- The Civil War Archive section, 10th Regiment Infantry, (accessed, 9 July 2012),
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Massachusetts in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Massachusetts in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Massachusetts, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Roe, Alfred Seelye. The Tenth Regiment, Massachusetts volunteer infantry, 1861-1864 : a western Massachusetts regiment. (Springfield, Massachusetts : Tenth Regiment Veteran Association, 1909, c1909), FHL book 974.4 M2ras and (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), FHL fiche 6083137
- Williams, Sidney S. From Spottsylvania [sic] to Wilmington, N.C. by way of Andersonville and Florence. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), FHL fiche 6083138
- 10 Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry Home page, (accessed 12 April 2013).
- Monument to the 10th Massachusetts Infantry, (adccessed 12 April 2013).
- Civil War in the East, 10th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment, (accessed 12 April 2013).
- This page was last modified on 25 September 2014, at 20:10.
- This page has been accessed 1,398 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News