10th Regiment, South Carolina ReservesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 10th Regiment, South Carolina Reserves was one of ten regiments of the 1st Corps of Reserves. It was organized by the late Summer in 1862 and was disbanded in November 1862 because of some discontent between the men. It was never called up for active service. See Robert S. Seigler's book for more detail.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Other Source Material
- 10th South Carolina Reserves Jun 1862-Nov 1862. Internet site, accessed 1/6/2011. Gives a brief history.
- "South Carolina Reserve and Miscellaneous Units in the War of the Rebellion". Lists a few officers, sometimes dates and company names. Disbanded date given.
- "South Carolina Reserve Regiments. South Carolina's Service in the War Between the States, Steve Batson’s Internet site, accessed 12/01/2010. This Internet site lists dates.
- Seigler, Robert S. South Carolina's Military Organizations During the War Between the States. Charleston, South Carolina: The History Press, c2008. FHL book 975.7 M2sr v. 4. This book has an overview about the creation of the military units for service during the Civil War. There are four volumes which are divided into areas of the State. There is information about the different military units including dates of organization and service, company officers, battle engagements, company names and places of origin, and a few pictures. This book is also available through other libraries.
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System can be searched by soldier's name or by regiment; includes regimental rosters and additional history of the regiment. This site uses Joseph H. Crute's book, Units of the Confederate States Army as their main source for the regiment history.FHL book 973 M2crua, WorldCat.Crute's book does not contain a history for this unit.
- Compiled Service Records of Confederate Soldiers Who Served in Organizations from the State of South Carolina. Microfilm publication M267. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Services, 1958. These records have been indexed and digitized and are available at Footnote.com (A subscription website, but is available for use at the Family History Library and some Family History Centers). It has digital Civil War soldier service records and brief regiment histories (located at the bottom of some of the muster rolls).
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Robert S. Seigler. South Carolina's Military Organizations During the War Between the States. (Charleston, South Carolina: The History Press, c2008.), v. 4, p 177. FHL book 975.7 M2sr v. 4. The book goes into greater detail about the companies and the different military units they served in. Also the book may give more information about the different units this Regiment served with.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 10th South Carolina Reserves Jun 1862-Nov 1862. Internet site, accessed 1/6/2011. Gives a brief history.
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 04:32.
- This page has been accessed 600 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News