126th Regiment, New York InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 126th Regiment was organized at Geneva, Ontario County, and mustered in August 22, 1862. They were organized by Colonel Eliakim Sherrill and mustered in at Troy, Rensselaer, New York.
The regiment moved to Washington, D. C., May 2-12, 1865. They were honorably discharged and mustered out,under Col. Ira Smith Brown, June 3, 1865. Veterans and Recruits were transferred to the 4th New York Heavy Artillery.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 126th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 16 August 2012).
The New York State Military Museum website has a unit history project page for the 126th Infantry Regiment.
The Civil War in the East website gives a timeline for the involvement of 126th New York Infantry Regiment in the war.
See more historical facts and monument information at the Historical Marker Database.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles,companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
See the Regiment Roster, for listing of individuals, their company and their involvement.
Company A - principally recruited from Yates County
Company B - principally recruited from Yates County
Company C - principally recruited from Seneca County
Company D - principally recruited from Ontario County
Company H - principally recruited from Ontario County
Company I - principally recruited from Seneca County
Company K - principally recruited from Ontario County
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘New York in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- New York in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for New York, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Frederick Henry Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers; Sailors System (database on-line)
- Graham, Robert H.Yates County's "boys in blue", 1861-1865 : who they were and what they did, Ann Arbor, Michigan : University Microfilms International, 1985(originally published: Penn Yan, N.Y. :s.n., 1926 ). HeritageQuestonline($),other libraries with this book, FHL Collection FHL fiche 6061035 (3 fiche)
- Lightfoote, W.G. Dedication of the monument to the 126th Regiment N.Y. Infantry on the battlefield of Gettysburg, October 3, 1888,Bethesda, MD. : University Publications of America,1992 (originally published:Canandaigua? N.Y.: s.n., 1888?). Internet Archive, FHL Collection FHL fiche 6083825 and Proceedings of the reunion of the veterans of the 111th and the 126th reg'ts N. Y. Vols. : held at Gettysburg, Pa., June 10 and 11, 1886. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083800
- Mahood, Wayne. Written in blood : a history of the 126th New York Infantry in the Civil War, (Hightstown, New Jersey : Longstreet House,1997). Other libraries with this book , FHL Collection FHL book 974.78 M2m
- Murray,R. L. .The redemption of the "Harper's Ferry Cowards" : the story of the 111th and 126th New York Volunteers at Gettysburg, Wolcott, N.Y.: Benedum Books,1994. Other libraries with this book, FHL Collection FHL book 974.78 M2mr
- Pangburn,Melissa E. . Farmers to fighters : an examination of the background and experiences of the men of the 126th Regiment of New York State Volunteers in the American Civil War, Thesis submitted in partial fulfillment of the requirements for Honors in American history, 2000. Library with this book.
- Phisterer, Frederick. New York in the War of the Rebellion, 1861 to 1865, Albany, N.Y. : J.B. Lyon, 1912. Google Books, other libraries with this book, FHL Collection FHL book 974.7 M2p, FHL film 1486494-1486496
- The Union Army : a History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States, 1861-65, Records of the Regiments in the Union Army, Cyclopedia of Battles, Memoirs of Commanders and Soldiers, Reprint of original published: Madison, WI.: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. Other libraries with this book,FHL Collection FHL book 973 M2ua
- United States. Army. Proceedings of the re-union of the 126th Regiment, N.Y.V. : held at Seneca Point, Canandaigua Lake, New York, August 22, 1867, Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, 1992(originally published: Canandaigua, N. Y. : Ontario County Times, 1867.). Other libraries with this book, FHL Collection FHL fiche 6083826 and (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083826
- Wilson, Mrs. Arabella M. Disaster, struggle, triumph : the adventures of 1000 "boys in blue", from August, 1862, to June, 1865. Dedicated to the 126th regiment of New York state volunteers, (Albany, N.Y.: Argus Co., 1870.) Google Books, FHL CollectionFHL book 974.7 M2w and film 812865 Item 1 and (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083827
- ↑ Frederick Henry Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (database on-line) at http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/ (accessed 2010).
- ↑ Hawks, Steve.The Civil War in the East. Database. http://www.civilwarintheeast.com/USA/NY/NY126.php (accessed 9 December 2010)
- ↑ New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs. "Unit History Project : 126th Infantry Regiment” in New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center at http://dmna.state.ny.us/historic/reghist/civil/infantry/126thInf/126thInfMain.htm (accessed 9 December 2010) citing Frederick Phisterer, New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. (Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912).
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 04:20.
- This page has been accessed 4,317 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News