12th Regiment, Illinois CavalryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 12th Regiment, Illinois Cavalry was formed from Companies "A," "B," "C," "D," "E" and "G" were organized at Springfield, Ill., and mustered in February 24, 1862. They mustered out May 29, 1866..
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 12th Regiment Cavalry, (accessed 14 June 2012).
- Wikipedia section,12th Illinois Cavalry, (accessed 20 June 2012)
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Company A - many men from Cook County and Winnebago County - Cook and Winnebago county web sites
- Company B - many men from Cook County - Cook County web site
- Company C - many men from DuPage County and Cook County - DuPage and Cook county web sites
- Company D - many men from Cook County - Cook County web site
- Company E - many men from Kankakee County and Cook County - Kankakee and Cook county web sites
- Company F - many men from Greene County (Also known as Gilmore's Cavalry Company) - Greene County web site
- Company G - many men from Hancock County and Cook County (Originally attached to 52nd Infantry; then assigned to Company H, 12th Illinois Cavalry, subsequently assigned as Company G, 15th Illinois Cavalry) - Hancock and Cook County web sites
- Company H - many men from Cook County (Also known as Barker's Dragoons, Gilbert's Cavalry Company, McClellan Dragoons) Cook County web site
- Company I - many men from Cook County (Also known as Barker's Dragoons, McClellan Dragoons) - Cook County web site
- Company K - many men from Cook County - Cook County web site
- Company L - many men from Warren County - Warren County web site
- Company M - many men from Cook County - Cook County web site
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Illinois in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Illinois in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Illinois, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 12th Regiment, Illinois Cavalry (accessed 10 May 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
- Warner, Abraham Joseph; Enderton, Herbert Bronson. The private journal of Abraham Joseph Warner : extracts from volumes I, III, and IV (4 November 1838 to 25 December 1864). (San Diego, California : H.B. Enderton, c1973) FHL Book 921.73 W242a
- This page was last modified on 30 July 2015, at 16:16.
- This page has been accessed 1,884 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News