13th Regiment, Connecticut InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 13th Regiment, Connecticut Infantry was organized at New Haven, Connecticut and mustered in from November 25, 1861 to January 7th, 1862. This regiment was finally mustered out the 25th of April 1866 at Fort Pulaski, Georgia and was disbanded on the 4th of May, 1865, at Hart's Island, New York Harbor. 
For more information on the 13th Regiment Infantry and its history, see:
- Regimental History - Sprague, Homer B., The 13th Infantry Regiment of Connecticut Volunteers During the Great Rebellion, (Hartford, Conn. : Case, Lockwood & Co., 1867). Available online at Google Books. Also available at the Family History Library, FHL US/CAN Fiche 6082929, or FHL US/CAN Film 1486472.
- The Civil War Archive Section, 13th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 13 April 2012).
Companies in this Regiment
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. This regiment was composed of men from all parts of Connecticut.
- Connecticut. Adjutant General's Office, Catalogue of Connecticut volunteer organizations, with additional enlistments and casualties to July 1, 1864, (Hartford, Connecticut : Case, Lockwood, 1864), page 463. Available Online at Internet Archive, (accessed 8 Mar 2011). Also available at the Family History Library, FHL US/CAN Book 974.6 M2a, or FHL US/CAN Film 1550802.
- Adjutant General's Office, Catalogue of Connecticut volunteer organizations : (infantry, cavalry, and artillery,) in the service of the United States, 1861-1865, with additional enlistments, casualties, &c., &c., and brief summaries, showing the operations and service of the several regiments and batteries, (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), page 535. Includes index. Online at Internet Archive, (accessed 8 Mar 2011). Also available at the Family History Library, FHL US/CAN Fiche 6082887. or FHL US/CAN Film 1033670 Item 1.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Connecticut in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Connecticut in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Connecticut, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Footnote.com, (accessed 2 Apr 2011). (A subscription website, but is available for use at the Family History Library and some Family History Centers). It has digital Civil War soldier service records and brief regiment histories (located at the bottom of some of the muster rolls).
- The Civil War in the East, (accessed 9 Mar 2011). Timeline of the 13th Connecticut Infantry Regiment
- The Stamford Historical Society, (accessed 9 Mar 2011). History and Roster
- Sprague, Homer B. (Homer Baxter). Lights and shadows in Confederate prisons : a personal experience, 1864-5. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991) FHL fiche 6082930 and History of the 13th Infantry Regiment of Connecticut Volunteers during the great rebellion. FHL fiche 6082929 and (Washington [District of Columbia] : Library of Congress, Photoduplication Service, 1988), FHL film 1486472
- United States. Army. Connecticut Infantry Regiment, 13th (1861-1866. Forlorn Hope Storming Column, Port Hudson, Louisiana, June 15, 1863. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), FHL fiche 6082928
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 04:41.
- This page has been accessed 2,797 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News