13th Regiment, Massachusetts InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 13th Regiment, Massachusetts Infantry was organized at Readville and mustered in for 90 days' service May 16, 1864.Duty at Fort Clark's Point, New Bedford, Mass.
They mustered out August 15, 1864.
For more information see the following:
The Wikipedia article, 13th Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry(accessed 29 September 2011)
Civil War Archives section 13th Regiment, Massachusetts Infantry, (accessed 12 April 2013).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Massachusetts in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Massachusetts in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Massachusetts, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- 13th Mass Website, (accessed 12 April 2013).
- Civil War in the East, 13th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment, (accessed 12 April 2013).
- Monument to the 13th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 12 April 2013).
- Images of the 13 Regiment, Massachusetts Infantry, (accessed 12 April 2013).
- Antieman, 13th Massachusetts Infantry, (accessed 12 April 2013).
- Historical Digest, 13th Massachusetts Infantry, (accessed 12 April 2013).
- Davis, Charles E. Three years in the army : the story of the Thirteenth Massachusetts volunteers from July 16, 1861, to August 1, 1864. (Boston, Massachusetts : Estes and Lauriat, 1894), FHL book 974.4 M2dc.
- This page was last modified on 25 September 2014, at 17:46.
- This page has been accessed 898 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More