13th Regiment , Michigan InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 13th Regiment, Michigan Infantry was organized at Kalamazoo, Michigan. It was mustered in January 17, 1862. The Regiment was mustered out July 25, 1865 at Louisville, Kentucky and disbanded at Jackson, Michigan on July 27, 1865. 
For a history of this regiment see Michigan Regimental Histories which gives a brief history, places served, battles fought, commanders and company rosters.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 13th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 13 July 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 13th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 13 July 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
See Rosters, as there were men from many different Counties in these Companies.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Michigan in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Michigan in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Michigan, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Keen, Joseph S. Experiences in rebel military prisons at Richmond, Danville, Andersonville and escape from Andersonville : a paper prepared and read June 24th, 1890, before Detroit Post No. 384, G.A.R. (13th Michigan Infantry Regiment). (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993), FHL fiche 6084663
- Michigan Adjutant General , and George H. Turner. "Record of Service of Michigan Volunteers in the Civil War, 1861-1865 [Thirteenth Infantry]" (Lansing, Michigan: Michigan Adjutant-General's Dept, 1905). Seeking Michigan website. FHL Fiche 6084661. Other Libraries
- Michigan Infantry Also Short Account of the Forty-Fourth Annual Reunion, Together with Other Interesting Reading Matter for the Members : Kalamazoo, Michigan, February, 1909. Kalamazoo, Mich: Kalamazoo Pub. Co., printers, 1909. Heritagequestonline subscription website. FHL Fiche6078591 . Other Libraries.
- Michigan. Historical Commission. "Michigan Historical Collections. V.1 (1874)-V.40(1929)" (Lansing: The Commission, 1874). Vol. 27Pages 220-225. Internet Archives. Other Libraries. Col. Michael Shoemaker and the 13th Regiment Michigan Infantry.
- Shoemaker, Michael. "Sketch of the Life of Col. Michael Shoemaker" ( S.l: s.n, 1890). FHL Fiche 6084662. Other Libraries
- Tift, Rose. "Historical Reminiscences of the Old Thirteenth Mich. Infantry Regiment" (Kalamazoo [Mich.]: C.H. Barnes & Co., printers, 1895). FHL Fiche 6078592 . Other Libraries.
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 03:16.
- This page has been accessed 3,134 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News