153rd Regiment, Indiana InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This Unit was organized at Indianapolis, Indiana, March 1, 1865. They mustered out September 4, 1865 at Louisville, Kentucky.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 153rd Regiment Infantry, (accessed 9 December 2014).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Wabash, Grant, and Huntington counties - see Roster on page 608
- Company B - many men from Huntington, Grant, Wabash, and Wells counties - see Roster on page 609
- Company C - many men from Huntington County - see Roster on page 611
- Company D - many men from Grant County - see Roster on page 612
- Company E - many men from Wells, Adams, and Jay counties - see Roster on page 613
- Company F- many men from Wabash, and Grant counties - see Roster on page 615
- Company G - many men from Grant, Blackford, Wells and Jay counties - see Roster on page 616
- Company H - many men from Howard, Grant, and Blackford counties - see Roster on page 618
- Company I - many men from Hamilton, Huntington, Grant, and Howard counties - see Roster on page 619
- Company K - many men from Tipton, Wells, Wabash, and Grant counties - see Roster on page 620
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 153th Regimen, Indiana Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 9 December 2014)
- Indiana State Digital Achives for military records can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 9 December 2014)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information. (accessed 9 December 2014)
- The Civil War Regiment records at the Indiana State Archives describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc. (accessed 9 December 2014)
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 9 December 2014) Website with histories of the Indiana Regiments.
- List of Indiana Civil War regiment (accessed 9 December 2014) List of Indiana Regimental that are on Wikipedia.
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 03:18.
- This page has been accessed 2,760 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News