172nd Regiment, Ohio Infantry (National Guard)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 172nd Regiment, Ohio Infantry (National Guard) was organized at Gallipolis, Ohio, and mustered in May 14, 1864. Guard duty at Gallipolis till September. They were mustered out September 3, 1864.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- Larry Stevens' Ohio in the Civil War, 172nd Ohio Infantry
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Field and Staff Officers - See Roster
- 172nd Regiment, Ohio Infantry (National Guard), Civil War Index, which includes history, battles, and roster with name, rank, age, date entered service, period of service and remarks.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Ohio in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Ohio in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Ohio, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 2.9 Internet Archive Official roster of the soldiers of the state of Ohio in the War of the Rebellion, 1861-1866. pp 447-461
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 03:15.
- This page has been accessed 1,072 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News