1st Battalion, Georgia Cavalry (Confederate)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
"Units of the Confederate States Army" by Joseph H. Crute, Jr. contains no history for this unit.
For more information on the history of the 1st Battalion, Georgia Cavalry, see the following:
The Wikipedia article, 1st Battalion, Georgia Cavalry, (accessed 27 September 2011)
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
1st Battalion Georgia Cavalry, ("Captain Hughes's Company") Liberty Country Roster by Statewide Military Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project
- 5th Georgia Cavalry Company A 1st Battalion Georgia Cavalry, Chatham County, Roster by USGenWeb Archives by Ashley Pollette
- 5th Georgia Cavalry Company B 1st Battalion Georgia Cavalry, Chatham County, Roster by USGenWeb Archives by Ashley Pollette
- 5th Georgia Cavalry Company C 1st Battalion Georigia Cavalry, Chatham County, Roster by USGenWeb Archives by Ashley Pollette
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Georgia in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Georgia in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Georgia, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- [The War for Southern Independence in Georgia]
- [Historical Sketch and Roster of the GA lst Cavalry Battalion] by John C. Rigdon. This book describes some history of this unit.
- A brief history of the 1st Battalion Georgia Cavalry with additional links can be found on the attached website.
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 04:37.
- This page has been accessed 1,900 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News