1st Battalion, Minnesota Infantry VolunteersEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 1st Battalion, Minnesota Infantry Volunteers originally consisted of two companies organized from the 1st Regiment, Minnesota Infantry. It was ordered to Washington D.C. May 1864. They were mustered out on July 14, 1865 in Jeffersonville, Indiana. They were joined by other companies during May 1864 to July 1865. 
For more information on the history of the 1st Battalion, Minnesota Infantry, see the following:
- Wikipedia, (accessed 10 Jan 2012) article on the 1st Minnesota Volunteer Infantry.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestorwas in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks. Also see the Dalby Database, a site from Minnesota, searchable by men, counties, regiments and companies.
Company C - counties of origin not recorded - Roster, page 544.
Company D - counties of origin not recorded - Roster, page 547.
Company E - counties of origin not recorded - Roster, page 550.
Company F - counties of origin not recorded - Roster, page 553.
Company G - counties of origin not recorded - Roster, page 556.
Company H - counties of origin not recorded - Roster, page 559.
Company I - counties of origin not recorded - Roster, page 562.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Minnesota in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Minnesota in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Minnesota, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- A Short History of the First Regiment Minnesota Volunteer Infantry. (accessed 9 Dec 2010)
- First Minnesota Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 7 Dec 2010) includes a searchable roster of the soldiers in the 1st Regiment along with photos and battle casualties.
- First Minnesota Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 9 Dec 2010) includes a history and links to other sites.
- ResearchOnline, (accessed 7 Dec. 2010) a brief history and biblography about the 1st Regiment, Minnesota Infantry.
- Rootsweb. (accessed 9 Dec 2010) First Regiment history and a roster of the men from Wabasha County.
- Civil War Index. (accessed 9 Dec 2010) Website with detailed Minnesota regimental histories.
- A Civil War Journal, (accessed 9 Dec 2010) The lives, actions and words of the soldiers of Winona County's Company K around the time of the Battle of Gettysburg. Letters, diaries, newspaper articles, photographs and drawings can be found on this site.
- The American Civil War and The Battle of Gettysburg: 1st Minnesota, (accessed 9 Dec 2010) contains a history of the 1st Regiment during the Battle of Gettysburg.
- MilitaryHistoryOnline, (accessed 9 December 2010) has submissions by people about their ancestors who served in the Civil War.
- Buck, Solon Justus, and Theodore Christian Blegen. Minnesota history bulletin, Volume 1. (Minnesota Historical Society, c1916). Google book. Internet Archives book.
- Carley, Kenneth, and Richard Moe. Minnesota in the Civil War: An Illustrated History. (Minnesota Historical Society Press, c2000). Book of battle histories, photographs, short biographies and a roster of the different regiments with their officers, beginning on page 204. Google book (Not all pages are shown). Other libraries with this book.
- Dyer, Frederick H. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion Compiled and Arranged from Official Records of the Federal and Confederate Armies : [Minnesota]. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993). FHL Collection. FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084700. Other libraries with this book.
- Holcombe, Ira Return. History of the first regiment Minnesota volunteer infantry, 1861-1864, with maps and illustrations. (Stillwater, Minn. : Easton & Masterman, c1916). Includes an index and roster.FHL Collection FHL US/CAN Book 977.6 M2h.
- Holcombe, R I. History of the First Regiment Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, 1861-1864. (Hudson, WI : St. Croix Valley Civil War Round Table, c2006). Other libraries with this book.
- Minnesota. Adjutant General's Office. Minnesota Adjutant General's Report of 1866. (Roseville, Minnesota : Park Genealogical Books, c1997). FHL US/CAN Book 977.6 M2ma Other libraries with this book. Arranged in alphabetical order by soldier's name. Gives soldier's name, age, birthplace, rank, regiment, company, date and place mustered in, date and place mustered out, and other information.
- Minnesota. Minnesota in the Civil and Indian Wars 1861-1865. (St. Paul, Minn: Electrotyped and printed for the State by the Pioneer Press Company, 1890).FHL Collection. FHL US/CAN Book 977.6 H2bc. Other libraries with this book. Click on the FHL Collection link to view this book online. It contains detailed histories and rosters of each Minnesota Military Unit.
- Minnesota. Annual Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Minnesota for the Year Ending December 1, 1866, and of the Military Forces of the State from 1861 to 1866. (St. Paul: Pioneer Print. Co, 1866). Other libraries with this book. View online at Internet Archives.
- Moe, Richard.The last full measure : the life and death of the First Minnesota Volunteers, (New York : Henry Holt, c1993). Other libraries with this book.
- Searles, Jasper Newton. History of the First Regiment Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, 1861-1864. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993 ). FHL Collection Fiche 6118044, Film 1320585 Item 13 Internet Archives book.
- Taylor, Matthew F. History of the First regiment Minnesota volunteer infantry, 1861-1864. (Stillwater, Minnesota: Eastman and Masterson, ). Internet Archives book.
- ↑ Minnesota. Adjutant General's Office. Annual Report.1862. (Saint Paul, 1862-66). Internet Archives,(accessed 10 January 2012).
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 03:13.
- This page has been accessed 2,200 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More