1st Battery, Indiana Light ArtilleryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
1st Battery, Indiana Light Artillery was organized at Evansville, Indiana, August 5, 1861, and mustered in at Indianapolis, Indiana on August 16, 1861 as 1st Battery, Indiana Light Artillery. They mustered out August 22,1865 at Montgomery, Alabama.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 1st Independent Battery Light Artillery, (accessed 26 May 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 1st Independent Battery Indiana Light Artillery, (accessed 20 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- First Battery - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 693-396
The Battery with their counties and their rosters are on the 1st Indiana Light Battery, on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 05 Feb 2011 2011)
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief histories of the 1st Battery Indiana Light Artillery
- Wilipedia (accessed (23 Dec 2010) articile on the 1st Battery, Indiana Light Artillery.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 04:37.
- This page has been accessed 1,602 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News