1st Independent Battery, Kansas Light ArtilleryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 1st Independent Battery, Kansas Light Artillery was organized at Mound City July 24, 1861. It mustered out July 17, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 1st Battery Light Artillery, (accessed 22 March 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 1st Independent Battery Kansas Light Artillery, (accessed 27 June 2012)
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Men from Shawnee County enlisted in this regiment.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Kansas in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Kansas in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Kansas, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- This page was last modified on 25 October 2012, at 01:43.
- This page has been accessed 349 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback