1st Regiment, Tennessee Independent Vidette Cavalry Regiment, Tennessee Cavalry (Union)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 1st Regiment, Tennessee Independent Vidette Cavalry was organized Companies "A," "B," "C," "G" and "H" at Stevenson and Bridgeport, Alabama, September 10, 1863, to April 26, 1864. It mustered out June 16, 1864. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 1st Tennessee and Alabama Vidette Cavalry, (accessed 29 March 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Tennessee in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Tennessee in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Tennessee, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Wright, General Marcus J., Tennessee in the War 1861-1865, (Ambrose Lee Publishing Company, Williamsbridge, New York City, 1908), Online book at Internet Archive. Roster of the volunteer force in the United States army from Tennessee. Roster of officers is given as it stood on the day of the muster out. Alabama and Tennessee Cavalry 1st Regiment begins on page 164.
- First Tennessee and Alabama Independent Vidette Cavalry, (accessed 3 Jan 2012). A variety of links available about these southern men who served in the federal army.
- Tennesseans in the Civil War, 1st Alabama and Tennessee Vedette Cavalry USA, (accessed 3 Jan 2012). A brief history.
- 1st Alabama and Tennessee Independent Vidette Cavalry, (accessed 29 Jan 2012). A civil war site.
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 04:45.
- This page has been accessed 1,935 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More