1st Regiment, Maryland Infantry (Union)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 1st Regiment, Maryland Infantry Organized at Baltimore, Md. Mustered in: Company "A" May 10; Companies "B," "C," May 11; Company "D," May 16, 1861. It Moved to Relay House, Md. May 24, 1861. Company "E" mustered in May 25, and Companies "F," "G," "H," "I" and "K" mustered in at Relay House May 27, 1861.
Mustered out July 2, 1865 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 1st Regiment Infantry, (accessed 16 March 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 1st Regiment Maryland Volunteer Infantry, (accessed 9 July 2012).
See History at: 1st Maryland Infantry, CSA.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officers, Non-Commissioned Offices, and Staff - see Roster; Roster on page 16 - 18
- Company A - no cities or counties given - see Roster; Roster on page 19 - 24
- Company B - no cities or counties given - see Roster; Roster on page 25 - 30
- Company C - no cities or counties given - see Roster: Roster on page 30 - 35
- Company D - no cities or counties given - see Roster; Roster on page 35 - 41
- Company E - no cities or counties given - see Roster; Roster on page 41 - 46
- Company F - no cities or counties given - see Roster; Roster on page 46 - 50
- Company G - no cities or counties given - see Roster; Roster on page 51 - 55
- Company H - no cities or counties given - see Roster; Roster on page 56 - 60
- Company I - no cities or counties given - see Roster; Roster on page 61 - 65
- Company K - no cities or counties given - see Roster; Roster on page 66 - 70
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 1st Regiment, Maryland Infantry, in L. Allison Wilmer, J. H. Jarrett, and Geo. W. F. Vernon. 1898. History and roster of Maryland volunteers, war of 1861-5. Baltimore: Press of Guggenheimer, Weil & Co. other library INTERNET ARCHIVE FHL Collection Maryland State Archives
- 1st Maryland Infantry Regiment time line
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Maryland in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Maryland in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Maryland, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Alphabetical Index of name to Goldsborough, W. W. 1972. The Maryland line in the Confederate Army, 1861-1865. (page 376-449) Port Washington, N.Y.: Kennikat Press. - Archive of Maryland Online FHL Collection other library
- Camper, Charles. Historical record of the First Regiment Maryland Infantry : with an appendix containing a register of officers and enlisted men, bio graphies of deceased officers, etc. War of the Rebellion, 1861-65. (Washington, District of Columbia : Library of Congress, Photoduplication Service, 1987), FHL film 1491085 and (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990), FHL fiche 6082452.
- Hewett, Janet. 1995. The roster of Confederate soldiers, 1861-1865. Wilmington, NC: Broadfoot Pub. Co. 975 M2rc FHL Collection other library
- Johnson, Bradley T. (Bradley Tyler). Address of Gen'l Bradley T. Johnson before the Association of Confederate Soldiers and Sailors of Maryland, June 10, 1874. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990), FHL fiche 6082470 and The first Maryland campaign : an address. FHL fiche 6082473 and FHL fiche 6082474.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 17 Nov 2012) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Maine - New Jersey then go to Maryland
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 04:40.
- This page has been accessed 3,545 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News