1st Regiment, Tennessee Zouaves (Confederate)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
It does not appear that the regiment ever perfected its organization, as some of its officers are found in other organizations. 
The book "Units of the Confederate States Army" by Joseph H. Crute, Jr. contains no history for this unit. 
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Company A - Captain John T. Gleaves
- Company B - Captain James B. Scobey
- Company C - Captain W. Foster
- Company D - Captain Jonathan Eatherly
- Company E - Captain Robert Murphey
- Company T - Captain George R. James
- Company G - Captain William Polk
- Company H - Captain Higdon Robertson
The information about the counties is from Tennesseans in the Civil War, (accessed 18 Nov 2011).
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Tennessee in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Tennessee in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Tennessee, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Tennesseans in the Civil War, (accessed 3 Sep 2011). Hosted by TNGenWeb. Brief History and list of officers.
- Tennessee 1st Infantry Regiment (Zouaves) , (accessed 3 Sep 2011). The War for Southern Independence. Brief history, officers, partial roster. Research books for purchase.
- ↑ Tennesseans in the Civil War,,(accessed 18 Nov 2011).
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 04:45.
- This page has been accessed 1,114 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More