23rd Regiment, Michigan InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 23rd Regiment, Michigan Infantry was organized at East Saginaw, Michigan and mustered in September 13, 1862. It was mustered out June 28, 1865. 
For a history of this regiment see Michigan in the War which gives a brief history, places served, battles fought, commanders and company rosters.
- The Wikipedia article, 23rd Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 13 July 2012).
- The Civil War Archive section, 23rd Regiment Infantry, (accessed 21 July 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
See Rosters, as there were men from many different Counties in these Companies.
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles,companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor& was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Michigan in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Michigan in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Michigan, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Michigan, and George H. Turner. Record of Service of Michigan Volunteers in the Civil War, 1861-1865 [Twenty-Third Infantry]. Lansing, Mich: Michigan Adjutant-General's Dept, 1905. FHL Fiche 6084686. Other Libraries.
- Twenty-third Michigan infantry association. "Roster of the Survivors of the Twenty-Third Regiment, Michigan Volunteer Infantry" ([St. Johns]: Press of the St. Johns news, 1901). Google Books. Other Libraries and (Salt Lake City : Digitized by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 2012), FHL book Digital Version
- Seeking Michigan Website. Gives history of the 23rd Regiment, Michigan Infantry. Includes brief history for Officers and soldiers. (accessed 17 Aug 2011)
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 03:17.
- This page has been accessed 2,739 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News