28th Regiment, Massachusetts InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 28th Regiment, Massachusetts Infantry was organized at Cambridge and Boston December 12, 1861,and mustered out June 29, 1865. It was the second primarily Irish American volunteer infantry regiment recruited in Massachusetts. The regiment's motto was Faugh a Ballagh (Clear the Way!).
For more information on the history of 28th Massachusetts Infantry regiment see the following:
- The Wikipedia article, 28th Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry (accessed 3 October 2011)
- The Civil War Archive section, 28th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 11 July 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Massachusetts in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Massachusetts in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Massachusetts, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Images of the 28th Regiment, Massachusetts, (accessed 22 April 2013).
- Monuments to the 28th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 22 April 2013).
- Civil War in the East, 28th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment, (accessed 22 April 2013).
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).
- ↑ Wikipedia contributers. 28th Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, (accessed 22 November 2011).
- This page was last modified on 22 April 2013, at 16:58.
- This page has been accessed 757 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More