30th Regiment, Indiana InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Organized at Fort Wayne, Indiana, and mustered in September 24, 1861. Duty at Texas July, and duty at various points till November. Mustered out November 25, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section,30th Regiment Infantry (accessed 4 May 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 30th Regiment Indiana Infantry, (accessed 21 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Staff - see Roster
- Reorganized Officer - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Allen County - see Roster on page 2
- Company A - Reorganized Soldiers - of Allen, Bartholomew, Clark, Decatur, Marion, and Vanderburgh counties - see Roster on page 21
- Company B - many men from Kosciusko County - see Roster on page 3
- Company B - Reorganized Soldiers - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 23
- Company C - many men from Noble County - see Roster on page 5
- Company C - Reorganized Soldiers - of DeKalb, La Porte, Whitley, Elkhart, and Dearborn counties - see Roster on page 24
- Company D - many men from Allen County - see Roster on page 7
- Company D - Reorganized Soldiers - ofNoble, Adams, Boone, Clinton, and DeKald counties - see Roster on page 25
- Company E - many men from Allen County - see Roster on page 9
- Company E - Reorganized Soldiers - of Allen, Kosciusko, Shelby, Marshall, and Noble counties - see Roster on page 26
- Company F - many men from Noble County - see Roster on page 10
- Company F - Reorganized Soldiers -little amount of cities given - see Roster on page 28
- Company G - many men from La Grange County - see Roster on page 12
- Company G - Reorganized Soldiers - of Clinton, La Grange, Boone, and Carroll counties - see Roster on page 29
- Company H - many men from DeKalb County - see Roster on page 13
- Company H - Reorganized Soldier - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 30
- Company I - many men from Kosciusko County - see Roster on page 15
- Company K - many men from Elkhart County - see Roster on page 16
- unassiged recuits - Roster on page 18
- unassiged recuits - Reorganized Soldier - see Roster on page 32
- The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 30th Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 19 Dec 2011)
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 30th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 30th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- 30th Indiana At Rest (accessed 08 Dec 2010) Is an attempt to locate final resting places of the soldiers of 30th Indiana Volunteer Infantry.
- 30th Indian Civil War Re-enactors, Inc.. (accessed 08 Dec 2010) Organized for the purpose of fostering and preserving the history of the Civil War era...etc..
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 04:36.
- This page has been accessed 3,018 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News