30th Regiment, Louisiana Infantry (Sumter Regiment)(Confederate)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
"30th Infantry Regiment [also called Sumter Regiment] was organized during the early spring of 1862. Few surrendered with the Department of Alabama, Mississippi, and East Louisiana.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Louisiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Louisiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Louisiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Plaisance, E. Charles. Louisiana soldiers in the Civil War, 26th and 30th regiments, Louisiana Volunteers : includes the rosters of soldiers from Ascension, Assumption, Lafayette, Lafourche, Orleans, St. John the Baptist, St. Mary and Terrebonne parishes. (Cut Off, Louisiana : Bayou Publications, c2000), FHL book 976.3 M2pe
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 04:58.
- This page has been accessed 929 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News