34th Regiment, Indiana InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This Unit was organized at Anderson, Indiana, and mustered in September 16, 1861. It was in Brownsville till February, 1866. They mustered out February 3, 1866.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 34th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 4 May 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 34th Regiment Indiana Infantry, (accessed 21 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Well County - see Roster on page 112
- Company B - many men from Jay County - see Roster on page 114
- Company C - many men from Grant, and Huntington counties - see Roster on page 116
- Company D - many men from Madison County - see Roster on page 118
- Company E - many men from Madison County - see Roster on page 120
- Company F - many men from Grant and Madison counties - see Roster on page 122
- Company G - many men from Huntington County - see Roster on page 124
- Company H- many men from Howard and Cass counties - see Roster on page 125
- Company H - many men from Howard County - see Roster 
- Company I - many men from Grant, and Blackford counties - see Roster on page 127
- Company K - many men from Grant, Cass, Henry, Wells, and Wabash counties - see Roster on page 129
- Unassigned Recruits - see Roster
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 34th Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry CIVIL WAR INDEX web site
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 34th Regiments, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 34th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana.
- 34th Indiana Regiment Infantry(accessed 10 Dec 2010) Regiment History with Roster- 34th Indiana Regiment Company H (Howard Country).
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).
- ↑ 34th Indiana Regiment Infantry(accessed 10 Dec 2010) Regiment History with Roster- 34th Indiana Regiment Company H (Howard Country).
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 03:20.
- This page has been accessed 2,580 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News