3rd Regiment, Vermont InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 3rd Regiment, Vermont Infantry was organized at St. Johnsbury and mustered in July 16, 1861. The regiment mustered out July 11, 1865.
For more information on the history of the 3rd Vermont Infantry, see the following:
- The Wikipedia article, 3rd Vermont Infantry, acessed 21 November 2011.
- The Civil War Archive section, 3rd Regiment Infantry, (accessed 14 November 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Rosters by Companyalso can be sorted by those who deserted, died of disease, died in prison, and several other
"The regiment was consolidated into six companies, July 25, 1864; Company D was consolidated with E; Co. F with B, I, and K; Co. G with I; and Co. H with K."
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Vermont in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Vermont in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Vermont, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Antietam, 3rd Vermont Infantry, (accessed 1 April 2013).
- Civil War in the East,Thrid Vermont Infantry Regiment, (accessed 1 April 2013).
- Breakthrough Battle at Petersburg,3rd Regiment of Vermont Infantry, (accessed 1 April 2013).
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).
- ↑ Adjutant and Inspector General Reports 1865 Report, on Vermont in the Civil War web site (accessed 17 September 2011).
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 05:05.
- This page has been accessed 1,693 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News