40th Regiment, Wisconsin InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 39th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry was organized at Madison, Wisconsin, and it was mustered in June 14,1864. It was mustered out September 16,1864.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 40th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 21 November 2012).
- The Wikipedia Article, 40th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 21 November 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following company links are to rosters taken from Roster of Wisconsin Volunteers, found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
Company A - Roster page 674.
Company B - Roster page 676.
Company C - Roster page 678.
Company D - Roster page 679.
Company E - Roster page 681.
Company F - Roster page 683.
Company G - Roster page 685.
Company H - There is no Company H roster in this report.
Company I - Roster page 687.
Company K - Roster page 688.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Wisconsin in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Wisconsin in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Wisconsin, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States. Army. Wisconsin Infantry Regiment, 40th (1864). Roster of the Fortieth Wisconsin Infantry, 1893. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993), FHL fiche 6118427.
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- ↑ Wisconsin. Roster of Wisconsin Volunteers, War of the Rebellion, 1861-1865 Volume II. (Madison: Democrat Printing Co., State Printers, 1886)
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 04:43.
- This page has been accessed 983 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News