41st Regiment, Alabama InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
41st Infantry Regiment completed its organization at Tuscaloosa, Alabama, in May, 1862. Members of this unit were raised in the counties of Pickens, Blount, Tuscaloosa, Perry, Greene, Washington, and Fayette. It surrendered with 14 officers and 84 men.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Companies by County:
- Company A - many men from Tuscaloosa County
- Company B - many men from Pickens County
- Company C - many men from Pickens County
- Company D - many men from Pickens County
- Company E - many men from Greene County and Perry County
- Company F - many men from Tuscaloosa County
- Company G - many men from Tuscaloosa County
- Company H - many men from Fayette County
- Company I - many men from Pickens County
- Company K - many men from Pickens County
The list of companies with their counties is found on history-sites.com web site.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Alabama in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Alabama in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Alabama, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Berry, Walter Leslie, Jr. The 41st Alabama Confederate Infantry Regiment (Midland, Michigan : W.L. Berry, c2006), FHL book 976.1 M2bw
- Morales, William R. The 41st Alabama infantry regiment : Confederate States of America, a narrative history of a Civil War regiment from west central Alabama (Wyandotte, Oklahoma : Gregath, c2001), FHL book 976.1 M2mw
- This page was last modified on 16 December 2013, at 17:28.
- This page has been accessed 1,313 times.
We want your opinion!
Give feedback on two US state pages by clicking on the purple button belowClick Here