41st Regiment, Illinois InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 41st Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Decatur, Illinois, and mustered in August 5, 1861. It was consolidated with 53d Illinois Infantry December 23, 1864. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 41st Regiment Infantry, (accessed 14 June 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 41st Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 15 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
Unassigned Recruits - Roster, vol. 3, page 195.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Illinois in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Illinois in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Illinois, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 41st Regiment (accessed 10 May 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
- Illinois State Archives - Illinois Civil War Muster and Descriptive Rolls Database (accessed 14 June 2011). Search by residence, unit, regiment, company or soldier.
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 04:33.
- This page has been accessed 1,477 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More