56th Regiment, New York InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 56th Regiment, New York Infantry was organized at Newburg, N. Y., and mustered in October 28, 1861. The regiment mustered out October 17, 1865. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 56th Regiment Infantry "10th Legion", (accessed 9 August 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company A - principally recruited at Orange County (Newburgh)
Company B - principally recruited at Orange County (Newburgh)
Company C - principally recruited at Orange County (Newburgh)
Company D - principally recruited at Orange County (Newburgh)
Company E - principally recruited at Orange County (Newburgh)
Company F - principally recruited at Sullivan County (Liberty)
Company G - principally recruited at Ulster County (Ellenville)
Company H - principally recruited at Sullivan County (Callicoon Depot)
Company I - principally recruited at Sullivan County (Monticello)
Company K - principally recruited at Sullivan County (Monticello)
Company L - principally recruited at Sullivan County (Callicoon Depot)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘New York in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- New York in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for New York, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Cole, Jacob H. (Jacob Henry), 1847-. Under five commanders, or, A boy's experience with the Army of the Potomac. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992), FHL film 6083728
- Fisk, Joel C.A condensed history of the 56th Regiment New York Veteran Volunteer Infantry which was part of the organization known as the "Tenth Legion" in the Civil War, 1861-1865 : together with a register or roster of all the members of the regiment, and the war record of each member as recorded in the Adjutant General's Office at Albany, New York. (Washington, District of Columbia : Library of Congress, Photo duplication Service, 1988) FHL Film 1486489
- Frederick Henry Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers; Sailors System (database on-line).
- Hawks, Steve, The Civil War in the East. Database.
- New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs. "Unit History Project : New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center at citing Frederick Phisterer, New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. (Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912).
- Phisterer, Frederick. New York in the War of the Rebellion, 1861 to 1865. Albany, New York : J.B. Lyon, 1912. Google Books, other libraries with this book, FHL Book 974.7 M2p; FHL Film 1486494-6
- Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War. New York Department (Rochester, New York). History of Monroe (New York) soldiery, 1861-1865. (Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1994) FHL Film 1598123 Item 8
- The Union Army: a History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States, 1861-65, Records of the Regiments in the Union Army, Cyclopedia of Battles, Memoirs of Commanders and Soldiers, (Reprint of original published: Madison, WI.: Federal Pub. Co., 1908). Other libraries with this book, FHL Books 973 M2ua, vols. 1-9
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 04:20.
- This page has been accessed 1,077 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More