5th Regiment, Tennessee Mounted Infantry (Union)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 5th Regiment, Tennessee Mounted Infantry was organized at Cleveland, Nashville, Calhoun and Chattanooga, Tennessee, September 23, 1864. They mustered out July 17, 1865. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 5th Regiment Mounted Infantry, (accessed 30 March 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Company A - Men from Bradley and McMinn Counties.
- Company B -
- Company C
- Company D - Men mostly from McMinn, with some from Bradley County.
- Company E - Men from Bradley, Hamilton and Meigs Counties.
- Company F -
- Compgany G -
- Company H -
- Company I - Men from Bradley and Roane Counties.
- Company K 
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Tennessee in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Tennessee in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Tennessee, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Wright, General Marcus J.,Tennessee in the War 1861-1865, (Ambrose Lee Publishing Company, Williamsbridge, New York City, 1908), Online book at Internet Archive. Roster of the volunteer force in the United States army from Tennessee. Roster of officers is given as it stood on the day of the muster out. Infantry - The Fifth Mounted Regiment begins on page 188.
- Tennesseans in the Civil War, 5th Tennessee Mounted Infantry Regiment, USA, (accessed 4 Jan 2012). A brief history, field officers, captains and companies.
- Federal Military Rosters, 5th Tennessee Mounted Infantry Regiment, (accessed 26 Feb 2012).
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- ↑ Tennesseans in the Civil War, 5th Tennessee Mounted Infantry Regiment, USA, (accessed 4 Jan 2012).
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 04:44.
- This page has been accessed 2,028 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News