63rd Regiment, Pennsylvania InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This regiment was organized at Pittsburg August, 1861. It mustered out September 9, 1864.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 63rd Regiment Infantry, (accessed 19 September 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Field and staff officers - See Roster
Regimental Band - See Roster
Unassigned Men - See Roster
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Pennsylvania in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Pennsylvania in the Civil War describes many sources, specifically for Pennsylvania, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Hays, Gilbert Adams. "Under the Red Patch; Story of the Sixty Third Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers, 1861-1864". (Pittsburgh, Pa: Sixty-third Pennsylvania volunteers regimental Association, 1908). FHL Film 1697420 Item 1 and (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992), FHL fiche 6084012. Hathi Trust.Internet Archive. Google books. WorldCat.
- Marks, James Junius. "The Peninsula Campaign in Virginia: Or, Incidents and Scenes on the Battlefields and in Richmond". (Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott, 1864). FHL Fiche 6084013.Internet Archive. Google books. WorldCat.
- Pa-roots gives a history of this regiment, its battles and organization. It includes a Roster and History for each company and additional References.
- Ranger 95 has a history of this regiment and images of monuments for this regiment
- Pennsylvania Volunteers of the Civil War relates several histories for this regiment including Samuel P. Bates history for this regiment.
- This page was last modified on 16 April 2014, at 21:08.
- This page has been accessed 797 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback