68th Regiment, Indiana InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This Unit was organized at Indianapolis, Indiana, and mustered in August 19, 1862. They moved to Nashville, Tennessee, June 16, and there mustered out June 20, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 69th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 10 May 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Franklin and Decatur counties - see Roster on page 87
- Company B - many men from Ripley County - see Roster on page 88
- Company C - many men from Franklin County - see Roster on page 90
- Company D - many men from Rush County - see Roster on page 91
- Company E - many men from Dearborn County - see Roster on page 93
- Company F- many men from Ripley Country - see Roster on page 94
- Company G - many men from Franklin County - see Roster on page 95
- Company H - many men from Dearborn, and Franklin counties - see Roster on page 97
- Company I - men from Frankllin, Rush, and Decatur counties - see Roster on page 99
- Company K - many men from Dearborn, and Ripley counties - see Roster on page 100
- Unassigned Recuits - see Roster on page 101
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 68th Regimen, Indiana Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 21 Jan 2011)
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 68th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 68th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
BOOK AND FILMS
- Mauzy, James H. 1887. Historical sketch of the Sixty-eighth regiment Indiana volunteers. Its commanders, officers and men. With short biographies of corps, division and brigade commanders. Rushville, ind: Republican Co., printers. FHL Collection other libraies
- High, Edwin W. 1968. History of the Sixty-eighth regiment, Indiana volunteer infantry, 1862-1865 with a sketch of E. A. King's brigade, Reynold's division, Thomas' corps, in the battle of Chickamauga. ([Metamora?, Ind.]: Sixty-eighth Indiana Infantry Association.) FHL US/CAN Film 1550179 FHL Collection other libraries Internet Archive
- Mauzy, James H. 1887. Historical sketch of the Sixty-eighth Regiment, Indiana Volunteers: with personal recollections by members of Company D, and short biographies of brigade, division, and corps commanders. S.l: s.n.]. FHL US/CAN Film 1597849 Item 11FHL Collection other library
- United States. Army. Indiana Infantry Regiment, 68th. Historical sketch of the Sixty-Eighth Regiment, Indiana Volunteers : with personal recollections by members of Company D, and short biographies of brigade, division and corps commanders. (Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1991), FHL Film 1597849 Item 11.
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 03:17.
- This page has been accessed 2,945 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News