74th Regiment, Indiana InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This Unit was organized at Fort Wayne, Indiana, and mustered in August 21. It was ordered to Washington, D. C., via Richmond, Virgina, April 29-May 19 and Grand Review May 24. They mustered out at Washington, D. C., June 9, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 74th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 10 May 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 74th Regiment Indiana Infantry, (accessed 21 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Kosciusko County - see Roster on page 199
- Company B - many men from Whitley County - see Roster on page 201
- Company C - many men from Allen County - see Roster on page 202
- Company D - many men from Noble County - see Roster on page 204
- Company E - many men from Elkhart County - see Roster on page 205
- Company F- many men from Decatur and Kosciusko counties - see Roster on page 207
- Company G - many men from Elkhart County - see Roster on page 209
- Company H - many men from Steuben County - see Roster on page 210
- Company I - many men from Kosciusko and Elkhart counties - see Roster on page 212
- Company K - many men from Kosciusko County - see Roster on page 214
- Unassigned Recuits - see Roster on page
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the th Regimen, Indiana Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 21 Jan 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 74th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 74th Regiment, Indiana.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
Peddycord, Will F.History of the Seventy-Fourth Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry A Three Years' Organization. (Warsaw, Ind: Smith Printery, 1913.) FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084414 (3 fiche) FHL Collection other libraries
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 04:37.
- This page has been accessed 2,552 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News