76th Regiment, New York InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 76th Regiment, New York Infantry was organized at Saratoga, N. Y., and mustered in November 23, 1861. The regiment mustered out June 27, 1865. 
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Companies A, B, C, D, E, F and G were formed of eight companies of the Cortland Regiment, and H, I and K of four companies of the Cherry Valley Regiment.
Company H - recruited principally in Otsego County
Company I - recruited principally in Otsego County
Company K - recruited principally in Otsego County
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘New York in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- New York in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for New York, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Frederick Henry Dyer,A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers; Sailors System (database on-line).
- Hawks, Steve, The Civil War in the East. Database.
- New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs. "Unit History Project : New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center citing Frederick Phisterer, New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. (Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912).
- Murray, R. L. First on the field : Cortland's 76th and Oswego's 147th New York State volunteer regiments at Gettysburg. (Wolcott, New York : Benedum Books, c1998), FHL book 974.7 M2mf
- Northrop, John Worrell; United States Army, New York Infantry Regiment, 76th. Chronicles from the diary of a war prisoner in Andersonville and other military prisons of the South in 1864 : experiences, observations, interviews and poems written in prison, with historical introduction ; an appendix containing statement of a Confederate physician and officer relative to prison condition and management. (Chronicles from the diary of a war prisoner in Andersonville and other military prisons of the South in 1864 : experiences, observations, interviews and poems written in prison, with historical introduction ; an appendix containing statement of a Confederate physician and officer relative to prison condition and management)FHL Fiche 6083756
- Phisterer, Frederick. New York in the War of the Rebellion, 1861 to 1865. Albany, New York : J.B. Lyon, 1912. Google Books, other libraries with this book, FHL Book 974.7 M2p; FHL Film 1486494-6
- Richardson, Charles. Story of a private : narrative of experiences in rebel prisons and stockades : read before E.B. Wolcott Post No. 1, Milwaukee, November 27, 1896. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083757
- Smith, Abram P. History of the Seventy-Sixth Regiment New York Volunteers: what it endured and accomplished, containing descriptions of its twenty-five battles, its marches, its camp and biovouac scenes, with biographical sketches of fifty-three officers and a complete record of the enlisted men. (Bethesda, Maryland: University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083758 and (Washington [District of Columbia]: Library of Congress, Photoduplication Service, 1988) FHL Film 1486478
- The Union Army : a History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States, 1861-65, Records of the Regiments in the Union Army, Cyclopedia of Battles, Memoirs of Commanders and Soldiers, Reprint of original published: Madison, WI.: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. Other libraries with this book, FHL Books 973 M2ua, vols. 1-9
- United States. Army. New York Infantry Regiment, 76th. Proceedings of the 76th New York Infantry, at the dedication of the battle monument at Gettysburg, Pa., July 1, 1888. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083755
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 04:21.
- This page has been accessed 1,778 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More