7th Regiment, Maryland InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 7th Regiment, Maryland Infantry was organized at Baltimore, Md., August and September, 1862. It mustered out May 31, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 7th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 21 March 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 7th Regiment Maryland Volunteer Infantry, (accessed 9 July 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officers, Non-Commissioned Offices and Staff - see Roster on page 277 - 280
- Company A - many men from Washington County - see Roster on page 280 - 282
- Company B - many men from Frederick County - see Roster on page 280 - 282
- Company C - many men from Harford County - see Roster on page 283 - 285
- Company D - many men from Baltimore County - see Roster on page 285 - 287
- Company E - many men from Frederick County - see Roster on page 288 - 290
- Company F - many men from Carroll County - see Roster on page 290 - 292
- Company G - many men from Frederick County - see Roster on page 292 - 294
- Company H - many men from Harford County - see Roster on page 295 - 296
- Company I - many men from Washington County - see Roster on page 297 - 298
- Company K - many men from Baltimore County - see Roster on page 299 - 301
- Unassigned Enlisted Men - See Roster on page 301 - 303
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 7th Regiment, Maryland Infantry in L. Allison Wilmer, J. H. Jarrett, and Geo. W. F. Vernon. 1898. History and roster of Maryland volunteers, war of 1861-5. Baltimore: Press of Guggenheimer, Weil & Co. other library INTERNET ARCHIVE FHL Collection
Callum, Agnes Kane. Colored Volunteers of Maryland, Civil War, 7th Regiment, United States Colored Troops, 1863-1866. FHL 975.2 M2ca.
- 7th Maryland Infantry Regiment time line
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 28 Dec 2012) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Maine to New Jersey (go to Maryland)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Maryland in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Maryland in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Maryland, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- This page was last modified on 11 December 2012, at 16:51.
- This page has been accessed 980 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More