7th Regiment, United States Colored InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Organized at Baltimore, Maryland, September 26 to November 12, 1863.
Duty at Camp Benedict, Maryland, till March, 1864.
Mustered out October 13, 1866.
Discharged at Baltimore, Maryland, November 15, 1866. 
Designation changed to 79th U.S. Colored Troops April 4, 1864. 
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Union Volunteers in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Union Volunteers in the Civil War describes many Union sources, specifically for the Union Volunteers, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Balch, John A. History of the 116th Regiment U.S.C. Infantry : from its organization in the early part of spring and summer of 1864, to the present time, giving a list of names of all officers and enlisted men who have ever belonged to the regiment. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1994), FHL Fiche 6118622.
- Califf, Joseph M. Records of the Services of the Seventh Regiment, U.S. Colored Troops from September, 1863 to November, 1866, by an officer of the regiment. Providence, R.I.: E.L. Freeman & Co., 1878. FHL Fiche 6118600 (2 fiche)
- Callum, Agnes Kane. 1990. Colored Volunteers of Maryland, Civil War, 7th Regiment, United States Colored Troops, 1863-1866. (Baltimore, Md: Mullac Publishers). Libraries with this book; FHL Book 975.2 M2ca.
- Shaw, James. Our Last Campaign and Subsequent Service in Texas. Providence, R.I.: Rhode Island Soldiers and Sailors Historical Society, 1905. FHL Fiche 6118601
- Sherman, George R. Assault on Fort Gilmer and Reminiscences of Prison Life. Providence, R.I.: Rhode Island Soldiers and Sailors Historical Society, 1897. FHL Fiche 6118602 and The Negro as a Soldier. (Providence, R.I.: Rhode Island Soldiers and Sailors Historical Society, 1913), FHL Fiche 6118603.
- By an officer of the regiment.Record of the services of the seventh regiment U.S. colored troups. (Freeport, New York : Books for libraries press, 1971) FHL Book 973 M2oo
- FamilySearch Wiki: Maryland in the Civil War
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- ↑ Tabular Analysis of the Records of the U.S. Colored Troops and Their Predecessor Units in the National Archives of the United States. Special List No. 33. National Archives and records Service General Services Adminsitration Washington: 1973.Compiled by Joseph B. Ross.FHL 973 M2rt Film:1036062 Item 21
- ↑ "Bibliography of State participation in the Civil war 1861-1866". War Department: Office of the Chief of Staff. War College Division, General Staff, No. 19. Washington Government Printing Office. 1913.
- This page was last modified on 3 July 2014, at 20:55.
- This page has been accessed 1,831 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News