87th Regiment, Illinois InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 87th Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Shawneetown, Illinois, and mustered in October 3, 1862. It moved to Helena, Arkansas, and had duty there until June 1865. It moved from Helena to Clark's Store February 24, 1865 (detachment) and mustered out June 16, 1865.
For more information on the history of the 87th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, see the following:
- Wikipedia, (accessed 30 Dec 2010) article on the 87th Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 30 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 87th Regiment Infantry.
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
Unassigned Recruits - Roster, vol. 5, page 237.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Illinois in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Illinois in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Illinois, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 87th Regiment (accessed 22 Feb. 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
- Illinois State Archives - Illinois Civil War Muster and Descriptive Rolls Database (accessed 14 June 2011). Search by residence, unit, regiment, company or soldier.
BOOKS AND FILMS
- Berry, Daniel. Letters written by Dr. Daniel Berry to Marry Berry Crebs Berry during the Civil War. ([S.l. : s.n.], c1976), FHL book 973 H29b
- Civil War Centennial Commission of Illinois. Illinois Military Units in the Civil War. (Springfield, [Ill.]:Civil War Centennial Commission of Illinois, c1962).FHL Collection.FHL US/CAN Book 977.3 M2im and FHL US/CAN FIlm 6334558. Other libraries with this book. Includes millitary units by county, infantry, cavalry, and artillery regiments, including independent artillery.
- Sanders, Joyce Hyatt. James Roscoe Crosser : farmer and cavalryman. (Fort Worth, Texas : J. Sanders, [1990?]), Fort Worth, Texas : J. Sanders, [1990?]), FHL book 921.73 C884s
- Vance, Joseph W and Illinois. Adjutant General's Office. Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Illinois, 1861-1866 .(Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1957, 1980).FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Film 1670785. Other libraries with this book. View online at Internet Archives.Rosters of officers, enlisted men, and historical memoranda of the regiments.
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. Compiled Records Showing Service of Military Units in Volunteer Union Organizations. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, c1964).FHL Collection 83rd-90th Infantry FHL US/CAN Film 1488479. Other libraries with this microfilm. View online at Internet Archives.
- This page was last modified on 30 July 2015, at 16:16.
- This page has been accessed 1,716 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News