8th Regiment, Iowa CavalryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This Unit was organized at Davenport September 30, 1863. They mustered out August 13, 1865.
- The Civil War Archive section, 8th Regiment Infantry, (accessed1 March 2013).
- The Wikipedia article, 8th Iowa Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 1 March 2013).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Iowa in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Iowa in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Iowa, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 L. L. Taylor, ed., Past and Present of Appanoose County, (SJ Clark Pub.,1913), pg 206-211. Internet Archive
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 03:19.
- This page has been accessed 1,486 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More