8th Regiment, New York InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The 8th Regiment, New York Infantry they mustered in April 23, 1861 and mustered out April 23, 1863. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 8th Regiment Infantry "1st German Rifles", (accessed 2 August 2012),
- The Wikipedia article, 8th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 2 August 2012),
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘New York in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- New York in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for New York, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Frederick Henry Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers; Sailors System (database on-line)
- Hawks, Steve.The Civil War in the East. Database.
- New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs. "Unit History Project : New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center citing Frederick Phisterer, New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. (Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912).
- Phisterer, Frederick. New York in the War of the Rebellion, 1861 to 1865. Albany, New York : J.B. Lyon, 1912. Google Books, other libraries with this book, FHL Book 974.7 M2p; FHL Film 1486494-6
- Struve, Gustav; Salm-Salm,Felix Constantin Alexander Johann Nepomuk, Prinz zu. Das 8. Regiment N. Y. Freiwilliger und Prinz Felix Salm-Salm. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083663
- The Union Army : a History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States, 1861-65, Records of the Regiments in the Union Army, Cyclopedia of Battles, Memoirs of Commanders and Soldiers, Reprint of original published: Madison, WI.: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. Other libraries with this book,FHL Books 973 M2ua, vols. 1-9
- Wilhelm, Thomas. Synopsis of the history of the Eighth U. S. Infantry and the military record of officers assigned to the regiment, from its organization, July 1838, to September 1871. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1994) FHL Fiche 6118580
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 04:20.
- This page has been accessed 815 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News