8th Regiment, South Carolina CavalryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
"The 8th (also called the 2nd and Colcock's) Battalions South Carolina Cavalry was organized in May 1862, from seven independent companies of Cavalry. This battalion was increased to a regimnet in August 1862 by the addition of three companies and designated the 3rd (also called 2nd) Regiment South Carolina Cavalry. A large number of the men previousoy served in the 1st Regiment South Carolina Mounted Militia."
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived, though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Additional Source Material
- "South Carolina Cavalry Battalions-Eighth Cavalry Battalion". South Carolina's Service in the War Between the States, Steve Batson’s Internet site, accessed 12/27/2010. This website states that the Eighth Cavalry battalion became an element of the Third South Carolina Cavalry Regiment.
- "8th Cavalry Regiment". The War for Southern Independence in South Carolina. Eastern Digital Resources an Internet site, accessed 12/22/2010. Gives some references for this unit.
- ↑ Compiled Service Records of Confederate Soldiers Who Served in Organizations from the State of South Carolina, microfilm publication M267. (Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Services, 1958). These records have been indexed and digitized and are available at Footnote.com (A subscription ($) website, but is available for use at the Family History Library and some Family History Centers). It has digital Civil War soldier service records and brief regiment histories (located at the bottom of some of the muster rolls). (Accessed December 2010)
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 04:32.
- This page has been accessed 559 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More