90th Regiment, Pennsylvania InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This regiment was organized at Philadelphia October 1, 1861. It consolidated with 11th Pennsylvania Infantry November 26, 1864.
For more information on the history of the 90th Pennsylvania Infantry, see the following:
- The Wikipedia article, 90th Pennsylvania Infantry (accessed 5 November, 2011)
- The Civil War Archive section, 90th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 20 September 2012.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Field Officers and Staff - See Roster
Regimental Band - SeeRoster
Company A - Many men were recruited in Philadelphia County - See Roster
Company B - Many men were recruited in Philadelphia County - See Roster
Company C - Many men were recruited in Philadelphia County - See Roster
Company D - Many men were recruited in Philadelphia County - See Roster
Company E - Many men were recruited in Philadelphia County - See Roster
Company F - Many men were recruited in Philadelphia County - See Roster
Company G - Many men were recruited in Philadelphia County - See Roster
Company H - Many men were recruited in Philadelphia County - See Roster
Company I - Many men were recruited in Philadelphia County - SeeRoster
Company K - Many men were recruited in Philadelphia County - See Roster
Unassigned Men - See Roster
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Pennsylvania in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Pennsylvania in the Civil War describes many sources, specifically for Pennsylvania, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Durkin, James, and J. M. Santarelli. "The Last Man and the Last Life: The Bloody Journey of the Philadelphia National Guards Regiment from May 1861 to November 1864, 19th P.V., Three Months Service, 90th P.V., Three Years Service". (Glenside, PA: J.M. Santarelli, 2000). FHL book 974.811 M2d. WorldCat.
- Smedley, Charles. "Life in Southern Prisons From the Diary of Corporal Charles Smedley, of Company G, 90th Regiment, Penn'a Volunteers, Commencing a Few Days Before the Battle of the Wilderness, in Which He Was Taken Prisoner, in the Evening of the Fifth Month Fifth, 1864 : Also, a Short Description of the March to Battle of Gettysburg, Together with a Biographical Sketch of the Author". ([Lancaster? Pa.]: Ladies' and Gentlemen's Fulton Aid Society,1865). FHL fiche 6084041. InternetArchive.WorldCat.
- Sellers, Alfred Jacob. Souvenir: survivors' association, Gettesburg, 1888-9. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992), FHL fiche 6084040
- Ninetieth Pennsylvania Volunteers Survivors Association. "Reunions of the Survivors of the Ninetieth Penna. Vols. (Infantry) on the Battlefield of Gettysburg, September 2nd & 3rd, 1888, & September 1st & 2nd, 1889". (Philadelphia: The Association, 1888). FHL Fiche 6084040. WorldCat.
- PaRoots gives a history of this regiment. It describes the organization and battles and listsrosters for each company. Also gives additional references.
- Ranger 95 has a history of this regiment and lists rosters for each company.This site also has images of monuments for this Regiment.
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 04:41.
- This page has been accessed 1,185 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News