91st Regiment, Indiana InfantryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This Unit was organized as a Battalion of seven Companies at Evansville, Indiana, and mustered in October 1, 1862. It had Duty at Raleigh till May 3 and at Salisbury till June 26. They mustered out June 26, 1865. The Recruits transferred to 120th, 124th and 128th Regiments, Indiana Infantry.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 91st Regiment Infantry, (accessed 10 May 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Posey County - see Roster on page 481
- Company B - many men from Warrick County - see Roster on page 482
- Company C - many men from Daviess County - see Roster on page 484
- Company D - many men from Posey County - see Roster on page 486
- Company E - many men from Spencer County - see Roster on page 487
- Company F- many men from Pike, Gibson and Warrick counties - see Roster on page 488
- Company G - many men from Vanderburgh County - see Roster on page 490
- Company H - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 492 note: 6 months month service
- Company I - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 493 note: 6 months service
- Company K - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 495 note: 6 months service
- Company H - many men from Allen County - see Roster on page 496 note: 1 year service
- Company I - many men from Ripley, Adams, Tippecanoe, Jay, Jefferson, Fayette, andMarion counties - see Roster on page 498 note: 1 year service
- Company K - many men from Allen County - see Roster on page 499
- Unassigned Recuits - see Roster on page 500
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 91th Regimen, Indiana Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 21 Jan 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 91st Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article On the 91st Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- ↑ National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).
- ↑ "The War For The Union" in "Patrictish" Chapter 11 of Jas. T. Tartt Co. 1978. History of Gibson County, Indiana: with illustrations descriptive of its scenery, and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers. (Evansville, Ind: Unigraphic.), (page 123, Regiment,Companies, Name's),977.235 H2ga FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection other libraries
- This page was last modified on 10 May 2012, at 21:29.
- This page has been accessed 1,263 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More